September 10, 2007
Nick Fleming, Shelley Neal, Becca
Gillespy, Tony Young, Bill Roe, John O’Hearn
GUESTS: Tom Cotner, TP Thornton, Kevin McGinnis
CONTRACTORS: Chuck Bartlett, Brian Oster, Martin Rudow
Openings: Meeting called to order at 7:31PM
Motion made to approve August minutes by
Nick seconded by Tony and approved.
Financial Report: Bill Roe
- Our current bank account balance is $5173.12
- We still owe some prize money for All-Comers
- Still awaiting Firecracker receipts from Brian,
hope to have soon.
- National Cross Country budget for December was
discussed, at least two people have
pledged and additional $200 to help defray costs (Saul and Chuck)
- The Club Northwest garage sale brought in
$650-congrats Becca, more in membership!
- Tom Cotner talked about prize money
possibility for PNTF and Regionals cross country meets. They are expecting
a large turnout of teams for Regionals.
If Club Northwest swept team competition we could bring in as much
as $750 to help fund our trip in December.
- Tom also talked about Club Northwest
bidding for Regionals or contributing some funding, this to be discussed
in more detail in October-we have done this in the past.
- Martin had proposed a new
compensation package for himself, Bill made a motion to approve it and
Shelley seconded it-it was unanimously approved
- Martin reported that things were a
little slow this month but $1643 was sent to us for August 2007. Northwest Runner came out a week earlier
this month. Martin went to Super
Jock and Jill and Bank to Bay. We
also had representation at Skagit Flats Marathon
- The Running Network did not send us a check in
August, they were sold 2 years ago and had owed us money which they have been
paying back over time
- We still have a St. Pat’s receivable outstanding
but overall have very few deadbeat “payers” and average 30 days in our
- Martin wants to get the word out now for help at
the Seattle Marathon
Expo in November-Becca to include the request in the monthly newsletter
Membership: Becca Gillespy
Becca hosted Club Northwest Garage Sale on
8/25 and generated $650!
Not a lot of Club Northwest members helped
with the Garage Sale. Katie and Will
were the “stars”.
When Becca has sent out the monthly
newsletter she has received quite a few E-mail responses indicating that
addresses are no longer valid but only one person who responded that they are
not a member.
Becca continues to struggle with sorting
and working on a new database, it seems that Club Northwest and Northwest
Runner information is not consistent and connected.
We received 3 new memberships and one
family membership online in August
A few people made comments about the new
Club Northwest fee, one said they would drop their membership because of it
It was suggested that we put an article on
the Club Northwest page of Northwest Runner detailing why the fees have gone up
in the November issue
Tom Cotner suggested we work on doing a
better job of advertising/marketing what we do for the community, All-Comers is
a great example of this
Becca will work on a letter and flyer to
be sent to members discussion the new rates as well
Bill had donated some Team USA gear for
the Garage Sale-Becca saved it and will put it on E-bay in hopes of generating
more revenue than we might have gotten at the sale.
Events: Brian Oster
- ACTION ITEM- Bill to meet with Tom/Kenny and
Brian prior to October meeting to discuss New Balance Winter Grand Prix
- Hangar 27 is probably out now for the
Resolution Run (used to rent it for $1800); we might do the race from the
beach, tent the area or look into other hangars.
- Rose Wetzel won the Ryka Girl 5K in
Club Northwest colors!
- Up to 6 comp entries will be given
out for Issaquah Salmon Days for prospective Club Northwest cross country
team members (most likely open men and women only). It is still the PNTF 10K Road Racing
Championship as well.
- The PNTF cross country meet 10/28 will be 6K for
open/masters women and master’s men and 8K for open men. The Regional meet 11/18 will be 6K for
open/masters women and 10K for open/masters men
- The PNTF Annual Meeting is 9/16 at Montlake
- Becca asked Club Northwest to consider funding
$10,000 for the track curb at King’s in exchange for deeply discounted
rates on future meets; they may not need a decision on this for several
months she will know details on this within a month.
- Brian said the Seattle Marathon is looking for
split timers, possibility of $600 in revenue for Club Northwest but would
require over 36 volunteers so this was dismissed given coordinating that
number of volunteers over a holiday weekend
Team Report: Chuck Bartlett/Shelley Neal
- Shelley had wanted a vote on the coaches contract
in September however, Lance had some reservations about it and was not at
the meeting so this was tabled at least until October
- Research on plane tickets for Club Nationals
Cross Country shows that tickets without names will cost approximately
$670, Shelley will book the hotel this week
- The $200 fee would be required for all
participants, with masters paying half of the cost of the ticket, so they
could be paying up to $335.
- Still a lot of interest in Club Nationals but
only 6 runners showed up for tonight’s Cross Country meeting.
- For the Men’s Open team it was decided that in
order for an athlete to get fully funded for December Nationals they must
run under 31:00 at Issaquah Salmon Days.
- Three meets will still be used for all teams to
select our representatives for Club Nationals, Salmon Days, PNTF and
- The 50-over and 40-over men’s masters’ teams are
investigating purchasing their own tickets for Club Nationals to save cost
and will handle their own logistics to get to the hotel.
- Bill suggested the board get together on 10/21 at
a mutually agreeable site to go over long-term planning, fund raising, etc
- Lance said he is working on fund raising but we
had no formal report from him since he was not at the meeting tonight.
- Becca asked about who gets free uniforms which
led into a discussion of “A “, “B”, National and International standards
for our athletes. Only “A “ and
above get free uniforms, singlets are $15
WEB: Chuck Bartlett
22 people have responded so far to the All-Comers
business and the motion was made to adjourn at 8:57 by Nick-seconded by Tony